Introduction: Catering Database Management Assignment
This Catering Database Management Assignment discusses developing a database for a catering company. Discerning Event Organizers (DEO) is a private company which offers catering services to a range of clients including individuals, businesses, schools and government departments. The motive to design a database that will fulfill their requirements as stated in the case study. This assignment will help the database designer to understand and apply fundamental concepts of database management system.
An entity relation (E-R) diagram using Crow’s Foot notation
- We have assumed that the entire table must not contain any null field value.
- Normalization is applied up to 2NF level to ensure the consistency and minimizing redundancy.
- We have made a separate Supplier_product to manage the supplier product combination.
- We have made a separate Address table to store the address of all the customers and suppliers and staff members.
- We have made a separate Staff_booking table to manage only those staff that has current booking of events.
- We have taken into consideration the dependencies of attributes in each relation.
Read more about Technical Assignment Help
The normalization is a process of eliminating anomalies form the existence database help and brings it back to the consistent state.
Also Read: Android Assignment Help
Read more about PHP Assignment Help
Read more about Java Assignment Help
Level of Normalization
There are several levels of normalization such as 1NF, 2NF or 3NF. We have made the database by applying normalization to it to minimize the duplicity or redundancy into the database.
Customer table is in 1NF
Business_Customer table is in 1NF
Government_Customer table is in 1NF
School_Customer table is in 1NF
Address table is in 2NF
Supplier table is in 2NF
Supplier_product table is in 1NF
Product is table in 2NF
Order table is in 1NF
Staff table is in 2NF
Staff_Booking table is in 1NF
Relational data structures
Read more about Computer Network Assignment
This assignment helped a student to get a better understanding of database concepts and features. The student has understood the concepts of normalization, cardinality, ER diagrams using crow’s foot notation, relationship schema and other fundamentals features. It has given a chance to enhance his/her database skills.
- Uml-diagrams.org, (2016). UML dependency is directed, supplier-client relationship which shows that some element requires other model elements.. [online] Available at: http://www.uml-diagrams.org/dependency.html [Accessed 6 Jan. 2016].
- Opentextbc.ca, (2016). Chapter 11 Functional Dependencies | Database Design. [online] Available at: http://opentextbc.ca/dbdesign/chapter/chapter-11-functional-dependencies/ [Accessed 6 Jan. 2016].
- Opentextbc.ca, (2016). Chapter 12 Normalization | Database Design. [online] Available at: http://opentextbc.ca/dbdesign/chapter/chapter-12-normalization/ [Accessed 6 Jan. 2016].
- Programmerinterview.com, (2016). Cardinality in SQL. [online] Available at: http://www.programmerinterview.com/index.php/database-sql/cardinality-in-sql/ [Accessed 6 Jan. 2016].
- Conceptdraw.com, (2016). Design elements – ERD (crow’s foot notation). [online] Available at: https://conceptdraw.com/a672c3/preview [Accessed 6 Jan. 2016].
Read more about Computer Programming Assignment